There are four tabs above the All-in-One search box:
Everything, Articles & Images, Books & Media, and Course Reserves.
Each tab is a search scope.
1. Select Everything tab to search the library catalog, subcription databses, and the All-in-One index, which includes millions of ources, which include the library catalog, subscription databases, and All-in-One central index
2. Select Articles & Images tabe to search journal, magazine and newspaper articles, and images.
3. Select Book & Media tab to search for print and electronic books, media, student theses, and locally-cataloged streaming video.
4. Select Course Reserves tab to serach for Textbooks and Professors' Reserves.
Let's search for books and articles on Higher Education.
Go to the library homepage: library.sfc.edu.
In All-in-One search box select the Everything tab.
Hit Enter or click on the GO button.
We chose the Everything scope, so the results will contain a mix of books, articles, images and videos.
A green dot below the title indicates that the item is available.
You can refine the results in the left sidebar by choosing the resource type, topic, creator, creation date, and more.
Let's choose BOOKS in the resource type. Now the results show ONLY PRINT BOOKS available in the circulating stacks of the SFC Library. Under the title you will see the location and Call Number. Tto cite the book, click on the DETAILS and then on the ACTIONS tab in the right corner.
Click on CITATION and choose the style.
More Search Tips
- Use quotes around phrases for acurate results, just as in a Google search. (For instance, "physician-assisted suicide").
- Limit by facets: After search, notice the facets along the left sidebar. Limit results by format (books), Subject (vitaculture), Language (French), etc.
- Advanced Search includes search fields. Use it when you have more than one keyword or keyphrase.
- Browse Search works well for finding books using by Subject (Viticulture - Oregon) or by Library of Congress Classification numbers (ex. SB387.76.O7 O74).
- Sign in with your SFC campus-wide username and password. Some resources require a sign in, including E-Shelf, My Account, etc.. Certain databases require login in order to be included in results (e.g.Web of Science, MLA). The Ebsco scope requires login if you are off campus,
- My Account - tracks your checkouts and allows renewals (requires a sign in)
- Use E-Shelf - As you search, click stars for the titles you want to track or revisit. They will show up in your e-shelf each session but sign in required to preserve for future searching.